Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Yeah, that can happen.

A day or two ago, the following report from DailyMile.com landed in my inbox, with the subject line, "Weekly Training Report 05/28/2012 - 06/03/2012":


In other words, "Weekly Training Report: YOU DIDN'T."

Yep. Some weeks are just like that.

In previous posts, I've had thoughts to share about reasons why I don't always keep up my running, ways I talk myself into doing it anyway, etc. But this time? I've got nothing. I just didn't want to run, and I just didn't manage to talk myself into wanting to run.

If I have anything to say about this, it's that I've decided to let myself off the hook when this happens. I have a job (teaching), an avocation (music), family and friends to see, commitments to my church and community, and a house and tiny yard that need upkeep. I run because I can, and because I enjoy it. I refuse to let myself feel guilty when I don't. Even if my clothes start getting tight again.

But I am going out for a run in a few minutes, because, in the great scheme of things, it is something I want to do.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you not beating yourself up. That can be a way harder task even than doing it -- for any value of "it", such as running or, say just for example, writing. Sometimes the it doesn't happen, and yup, that's okay.

    Have a good run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And meanwhile, I need to start being a *little* tougher on myself when the oboe practicing doesn't happen. Because I do need to be better about that.

      Delete