Monday, July 30, 2012

These trails were made for walking ...

I went for a run this morning, and a hike broke out.

So, remember how I was all worried about managing the hills in San Francisco during the race, and then the race course was completely flat? Yeah, I found the hills this morning. Hills that actually prevented me from maintaining anything that could even arguably be called a running stride. Also some gravelly trails adjacent to precarious drop-offs frequently populated with oncoming canines.

I'm awfully stubborn when I'm determined to keep running, against all odds, but I met my match this morning.

Okay, I can own that. There are things I can't do in this world; I know this. I can't lift more than 60 or so pounds. I can't digest gluten. I can't seem to pronounce anything properly in German. I can't safely go wreck diving until I've completed more dive training. I can't sight-transpose for more than a few measures at a time. I can't begin to understand why anyone reads anything by Stephenie Meyer.

But hills? C'mon, I can handle a few measly hills. Can't I?

Oh.

Huh.

Well, as Douglas Adams once said, "A learning experience is something that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'" Highlights of this morning's learning experience included turning left on Ogden St. (don't do that), trying to take Bocana St. up to Bernal Heights Park (don't do that), and running up and along the footpaths around the edge of the mound on Bernal Heights Park (seriously, really just don't do that).

On the upside, I think I've found a more manageable route to get me to the edge of the park next time, totally runnable roads all around the base of the park, and a good coffee place where I strategically finished my 3.1 miles (after *sigh* 41:29 of running/hiking time). And the upshot was that I kept my heart rate going by hiking determinedly when I couldn't run, so aerobic exercise was had, meaning the degree of fail was all relative.

Tomorrow is, after all, another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment