Friday, April 19, 2013

My transportation hassles pale in comparison to greater events.

Race day tomorrow! Brooklyn isn't all that far from RI, and the Northeast Corridor has this public transportation thing pretty well worked out ... most of the time. Under normal circumstances, grabbing a train to the city on a Friday afternoon would be an easy solution to the question of how to be in Prospect Park for a 10am Saturday race check-in. Leave school around 3, grab a 4:00 train, be in the city in time for a late supper and a good night's sleep. Right?

In case you haven't heard (and in that case, seriously? how?), today's circumstances bear absolutely no resemblance to "normal." The iPhone app from which I'm posting apparently doesn't allow me to create hypertext, so here's a link to a page full of haunting images of deserted Boston streets during today's lockdown: http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/16-eerie-images-of-boston-on-lockdown?s=mobile

I guess Amtrak isn't equipped to originate trains from Providence, so all service between Boston and Penn Station has been canceled, at least until after the time of my train, and there is (unsurprisingly) no room available on later trains.

All of this is to say, I'll deal. I'll find a way to get to Brooklyn (current strategy involves driving to Stamford and taking MetroNorth), and I'll race tomorrow. And if I don't, somehow, I'm out a $35 race fee and I'll find another race another day.

This whole thing is so much bigger than my little weekend plans, it feels ludicrous even to type the words.

Thinking of all the scared people, the medical and safety professionals in harm's way, the people locked down away from where their loved one are, even those who are simply inconvenienced by not being able to leave home for the day. All of those people, and many others, have it much worse than I do. Even if it is supposed to be thunderstorming in Park Slope at precisely the time I expect to be walking from the subway to my sister's co-op. I have a rain jacket.

Perspective.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment