Sunday, April 29, 2012

Feeling Progressive ... and Social!

If you've read this blog before today, you may be noticing a new widget in the right sidebar there. (You may also notice that I changed from two sidebars to one, which was because I thought the widget looked weird if I forced it to be too skinny.)

And if you're extra sharp, you may have noticed that not only is the widget new, but this is also the first reference on this blog to DailyMile, which is yet another distance-tracking site.

"But wait!" I hear you cry. "Didn't you just post about how you use RunKeeper? Why on earth would you need more than one site?"

Well, dear theoretical reader, I joined DailyMile for a specific purpose: I'm already looking down the road (no pun intended) past the New London race next month, toward the Wipro San Francisco Marathon events on July 29. Now, before you get excited, I am not running any crazy marathon distance.

Or, that is to say, I am not running any crazy marathon distance all at once.

See, the SF Marathon has a 5K event, which was what I was planning to do for my California race. As I was looking up registration info, though, I noticed something cool called a "progressive marathon." All I have to do is keep track of the running I'm going to be doing, anyway, and pay an extra $5 registration fee. If I can log 23.1 miles before race day (which, given three months, running 3+ miles at least a few times a week, should be doable several times over), I just run the 5K event on the day, and I get a medal and get to feel all awesome for completing more than just that day's 5K! I say, sign me up!

Back to DailyMile, the reason I added that to my repertoire is that the SF Marathon organizers have set up a "Progressive Marathon Tracking Challenge"at that site, and that seems like the easiest way to keep track of my mileage leading up to July 29. For the moment, I'm planning to keep using RunKeeper to do the actual tracking of my runs, and then I'll just have to remember to log them on DailyMile.

And, speaking of social media, I've decided to start a dedicated twitter feed for my running activity. Because, you know, I do so much with my main twitter feed, I had to keep things separate. Okay, actually, it's just how my brain works. Ok?

So, if you'd like to see my RunKeeper and DailyMile updates, see notifications when I post here, etc., feel free to follow me @RunNenaRun.

See you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment